Response to "People won't work for free anymore" - #MuffinBreak

I feel so sorry for Natalie Brennan in her inability to get millennials to work in her stores for free. Back in my day we ... oh hang on, we didn't work for free either. We got paid less while we were being trained, and we got to do all the crappy jobs, but we still got paid.

 ... I would be retired on a beach in the Bahamas ...
So reading this #MuffinBreak article as the story goes viral, and watching everyone's outrage at her comments, I wonder if people actually realise how often the request to provide work for free really does happen in the real world of business.

Having been in marketing and design for over 30 years, I can honestly say that I would be retired on a beach in the Bahamas if I had a dollar for everyone who asked me for free design work. Don't get me wrong, it's not blatant ... well, usually not.

Try Before you Buy
"I'd like you to quote on designing me a new brochure, but can you send me a design of what it will look like with the quote?"

When I was just starting out as a designer, my portfolio was pretty small. So not having the work examples to show off, I would provide real-life examples with my quotes. Unfortunately, not every business is ethical, and many of my designs would then be used without me being paid. So being the quick learner that I am, I decided to still do the samples, and instead of sending them with the quote to the prospective client, I would add them to my portfolio. Before long I had a great variety of work for my prospective clients to see.

A Few Samples
"I would like you to design a new flier, but can you send me 5 different versions so I can see which one I like best?"

While this often happens with branding and logos, it's not exclusive. It's very common that a client will come to me without any idea of what they want, so they believe that the best way to decide is by seeing their logo presented in a variety of different ways. Through experience, I have found that having a good conversation and viewing samples of what other people have done is a much better way of finding what you like and dislike. Too many choices are more likely to confuse, whereas a single well thought out plan which can be manipulated and changed is more likely to succeed.

In Exchange for Exposure
"We're a new business so we don't have the money to pay you, but we're gonna be huge, so we'll let everyone know that you created our brand for us, and you'll get loads of business."

Honestly, it doesn't matter if the company asking is brand new and really going places, or if they're a huge multi-national. Even if you do get some exposure, it doesn't pay the bills or put food on the table. And it's setting a precedent because once you've agreed to work for a mention, they will continue to expect it, not to mention the people you're being exposed to will also see that you're happy to work for a mention. Not only that but if you do find yourself working for a blog mention, you need to make sure the exposure is directed at your target audience, else it's all for nothing.

Charity Donation
"We're a non-for profit."

This is all they say because usually, it's enough to get that guilt trip happening inside your normally strong business head. Once I was a bit of a sucker for a good cause, and before long found myself helping out for all kinds of associations and charities and not having enough time left for my paying clients. So I put my business hat back on and made the hard choice of which causes I was the most passionate about and worked out how much time I was prepared to donate.
By only having a couple of causes, I have since found it reflects well on my business, showing that while I am involved with charity and community, I'm not controlled by it. And it helps me to politely refuse additional charities by saying "I have my set organisations that I help out."

Free Advice
"Can I ask your advice on ... "

This is very commonly used in disguise in facebook business groups, but I have also had to cut off prospective clients for the abusing my generosity in this area. While I'm not opposed to offering free advice - after all, it's how we learn - there are limits to how much and exactly what you can provide for free. Especially when it comes to creative and marketing ideas, it's important to let the recipient of the free advice know that ordinarily this would be charged out at an hourly rate.
Note, being someone's business mentor is totally different. Mentoring is not offering advice on how to, it's leading by example, and sharing your experience.

Mates Rates
"So my son would normally do his own brochure for the footy club, but since you are a professional, we thought we'd get you to do it."

I was told by a wise business owner/friend... you should never offer "mates rates". A true mate will choose your business over another and then tell everyone about the great job you did - because you are mates - not because you gave them a discount. If you do choose to offer a "mates rate" discount, then make sure they are aware they are receiving the discount. I actually have a discount code in my accounting software which specifies "Mates Rate Discount".

But We're Family
"Dad's lawnmowing business is struggling, but I told him you will do a letter drop for him."

OK, so my dad doesn't own a lawnmowing business, but you get the idea. There's no probably about it, family is the most difficult client to have and to charge. The closer the family tie, the harder it is to send that invoice. But as with the "Mates Rates", your family should actually be choosing to HIRE your business over others as their support to you. By implying that they expect you to work for free disrespects your efforts as a business owner. One of my major clients is a family member, and he understands that business is business. At the end of the day he needs to hire someone to do his marketing, so he may as well keep it in the family.

****

I'm sure if I took the time to think about it there would be a lot more examples, but for now, my little rant is over. And next time you're asking, or someone asks you to work for free, please remember the following points;

  • Please don't allude to or outrightly ask for discounts or free work, because it says you don't respect the person as a fellow business owner. Sometimes it will still be offered naturally, in which case accept it with grace and humility.
  • Please don't offer your own work for free or with big discounts just because they ask. It undermines and devalues your skill and experience, and sets a precedent for others to follow. Have your own set of rules and standards to whom you will give discounts, free work and free advice. 

Everyone has their own chosen charities ... don't become one yourself.



AndyK

AndyK - Graphic Artist - AndyK Design

PS: My chosen charities are: 
Girls Torque Motorsport, Therapy On Wheels (my drag racing team)
and Breast Cancer Care WA.


Like what I have to say? Got an opinion?
Feel free to leave a comment below or drop by my social media.
See the links at the top of this page.

No comments

Powered by Blogger.